Dreamfar mentors are the very heart and soul of the program. Mentoring student runners has been called, "a life changing experience” for both the student and the mentors. Students look to their mentors for guidance, leadership, and most of all encouragement.
Consider making the commitment to mentor a student! Apply today by completing the online Dreamfar Mentor Application HERE.
Dreamfar mentors run alongside youth and help them train for and complete the Providence Marathon or Half Marathon by providing companionship, motivation, and support. Mentors run as part of the whole team, but are specifically matched in "running families" consisting of 4-6 mentors and 8-12 students. No prior running experience is required to volunteer for this program however mentors must be committed to training alongside their students.
- Sincere desire to contribute to the growth and development of a young person
- Ability to communicate openly and without judgment
- Practical problem solving skills
- Sensitivity to persons of all backgrounds
- Must be at least 20 years old
Responsibilities and Commitment
- Commitment to one full Dreamfar season (November-May)
- Attend 80% of the Saturday training runs
- Run the Providence Marathon or Half Marathon on Sunday May 5, 2019
- Make sure student runners are safe and successful in their marathon training
DHSM's Resources for Mentors
- Certified marathon coaching
- Regular mentorship training and support
- Highly accessible program staff
- Team social events
- Access to physical therapy
- Discounts at local running stores
- CPR certification available
- A once in a lifetime opportunity
For more information about being a DHSM mentor, please contact Kate Russell, Program Director, at: firstname.lastname@example.org