Dreamfar High School Marathon’s success comes in part from the many wonderful mentors/volunteers who come back year after year to run with our students, staff the weekend water stops, input data into the computer, share their knowledge to the group and drive students to and from training.
DREAMFAR mentors are the very heart and soul of the program. Dreamfar High School Marathon makes the promise that no student will cross the finish line of a race alone. Mentoring student runners has been called, "a life changing experience” for both the student and the mentors. Students look to their mentors for guidance, leadership, and most of all encouragement.
Consider making the commitment to mentor a student.
Dreamfar mentors run alongside youth and help them train for and complete the Providence Marathon by providing companionship, motivation, and support. Mentors run as part of the whole team, but are specifically matched in "running families" consisting of 4-6 mentors and 8-12 students. No prior running experience is required to volunteer for this program however mentors must be committed to training alongside their students.
- Sincere desire to contribute to the growth and development of a young person
- Ability to communicate openly and without judgment
- Practical problem solving skills
- Sensitivity to persons of all backgrounds
- Must be at least 20 years old
Responsibilities and Commitment
Mentors participate in the program in the following ways:
- Commitment to one full Dreamfar season (November-June)
- Attend 80% of the Saturday training runs
- Run the Cox Providence Marathon on Sunday May 1, 2016
- Make sure student runners are safe and successful in their marathon training
DREAMFAR’S Resources for Mentors
- Certified marathon coaching
- Regular mentorship training and support
- Highly accessible program staff
- Team socials
- Access to physical therapy
- Discounts at local running stores
- A once in a lifetime opportunity
For more information about being a DREAMFAR Mentor, please contact Kate Russell at: email@example.com